Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Scotland!

Hello All!
I just recently got back from Edinburgh (pronounced Edin-borough, more or less) in Scotland! It was SUCH an amazing time! I went with four other friends, and it was incredible. Here's a rundown...

On Thursday night, we took an overnight bus from 11:00 pm until 7:40 am into Scotland. So. Tired. FurRealzies. We walked out of the bus station and, outloud, we said: "So we're in Scotland. Now what?" It was raining and pretty dang cold, so we hid out in the only place that was open at 7:40 am on a Friday in Edinburgh: McDonald's. I have not had a McMuffin in quite a long time. That changed. Sometimes eating that kind of stuff is just good for the soul. Kind of maybe.

Pause......................
Just wanted to point out that as I write this, the people in the room I am in are literally having an intellectual debate on whether Scar from Lion King is a more admirable character than Mufasa. I may or may not have initiated the conversation of the three academic men next to me via my admiration of Mufasa. I also may or may not REEEAAALLLYY miss my housemates in less than a week because of these interesting conversations and events. Now they're discussing the possibility of making a Wicked-like musical named Scar to show his perspective and the fact that he's the victim and not really wicked.

Anyway...................
While we were in Scotland, we went to countless museums including the Portrait Gallery and the Scottish National Gallery. There were most definitely bagpipes everywhere I went, and kilts were definitely a thing with some of the men. (At least where I was!) We went to lunch at The Elephant House where J.K. Rowling actually wrote a lot of the first Harry Potter novel, and it was so yummy and fun!

We went to the Castle at Edinburgh, which is where Mary, Queen of Scots would reside occasionally and also where she gave birth to James, who would later be king. There was also the Scottish Crown Jewels and the Stone of Destiny, which is the stone of all of the coronations of kings and queens in England. 

On Good Friday, we went to an evening service which was also amazing - it never ceases to amaze me that no matter WHERE the heck I am in the world, I can find people that I am connected with by the bond that we have in Christ. I am never alone!

On the rest of my journey, (and in London for Easter) I:

-was in an all-girls hostel in which I met a Finnish girl named Anna. She liked to complain about the noisy Belgian students down the hall. She had broken English and used it to talk about how wasted she got on the weekends. Not lying when I say I legitimately LOVE meeting interesting people...and she was one of them.

-woke up to two chit-chatty Australian dudes in what I *thought* was my all-girls hostel. They were pretty cool, just unexpected.

-climbed to the top of Arthur's seat and saw some ruins.

-met a Buddhist monk who was in a band and significantly pushed us into giving him money toward charity. Oh, but don't fear...we would receive his "Monk Rock" album for free. Go Scotland.

-saw Dolly the Sheep.

-went to Westminster Abbey for Easter morning service.

-went to the British museum and saw the Rosetta Stone. Not the kind in primary yellow boxes.

-went to Reality London for Easter evening service (woot!)

-observed SOOOOOO many people on the Tube (Underground) in London. People will legitimately avoid human contact at ALL. They close their eyes (or put on sunglasses...underground...), put in headphones, and ignore the world. Sooooo flipping funny. Ask me to tell you funny underground stories in particular. Pure comedy and free entertainment. Overall, amazing trip!

Uploading pictures isn't working for some reason for me right now, but I thought I'd give this update anyway. Pictures and videos to follow later.

As far as prayer requests go...
In the last 36 hours, I seem to have come down with the flu possibly. Nearly positive about a fever, have a sore throat, my sinuses hate me, and I'm SOOOO incredibly achy. Normally wouldn't be complaining on a post, but I have my final 4,000 word research paper due tomorrow and, though I'm chugging along steadily (with actually no distractions besides writing this!) I feel like curling up in a ball and sleeping for the next two weeks. Pray for an unnatural amount of vigor and motivation to spring up within me, if you think about it! I'll let you know how it goes! As of tomorrow at noon, I will be done with my studies at Oxford :)/:(.

Mucho love!
Me :)



No comments:

Post a Comment